Why bother losing weight?
The benefits of weight loss and improving your lifestyle are endless. Not only do you physically feel better and regain any lost self-esteem, your risks of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, gall bladder trouble, hiatus hernia, high blood pressure and arthritis (especially hips and knees) will decrease considerably.
In order to lose weight, it is essential to cut down on foods that are high in calorie intake and low in nutritional benefit such as:
- Refined carbohydrates (e.g. sugar, cakes, soft drinks, sweets, biscuits, white bread). Alternatively, go for complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain and vegetables that provides sustained energy.
- 20-30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise per day, whether it be a brisk walk or jog.
- Other activities such as tennis, swimming, golf and cycling are encouraged. These activities are also great for socialising.
Weight loss tips
- Don’t crash diet! Have a 3 to 6 month plan to achieve your goals
- Don’t be disheartened by slow weight loss; the scales aren’t always the best indicator of decreased fat or increased muscle mass, try doing waist measurements as well
- Strict diet without exercise fails
- Go for natural foods
- Snack on high fibre foods
- Don’t skip meals or go hungry
- Avoid having seconds and leftovers
- Eat slowly; enjoy your food!